This class is for you if you have sewn a few things before, know how to operate a sewing machine and are keen to sew your first garment.
If you have not used a sewing machine before, have a look at our Cushion Class which will give you an introduction to the sewing machine basics.
Learn the basics to get comfortable with a sewing pattern, take home a beautiful skirt along with the confidence for your next project.
We will learn to sew a versatile A-line skirt and how to have some fun with this basic pattern. Make this skirt your own by shortening it or adding a bit of extra colour.
It can be your new work friend, summer flirt or warming winter companion.
What will I learn?
- How to select your sewing pattern size and suitable fabrics
- How to read patterns and follow their instructions
- How to adjust a pattern to make it your style and fit
- How to insert an invisible zip
- Become familiar with common sewing terms
- How to use different sewing machine feet and how
- How to Press Seams properly for that professional finish (ugh! ironing, right?)
- Take home a super flattering and comfy skirt and wear it proudly!
- The skills to make your next skirt in an afternoon, yep!
- 2 classes / 3.5h each
- A beautiful Designer Sewing Pattern with a step by step instruction book
- Use of all the tools and sewing machines in store*
- And of course a fun social outing while learning a skill for life…just sayin’
I do have a small selection of beautiful fabrics available in the store if you don’t get around to buying some.
*You’re welcome to bring your own sewing machine to learn.
This skirt can be made from almost any fabric, but for beginners I would recommend:
Medium weight cotton, denim, linen or chambray. Nothing to heavy or light weight.
You will need:
- approx. 2m of your main fabric
- approx. 1/2m of contrasting fabric (if you wish to add a colour panel)
- 40cm medium-light fusible interfacing
- 1m of Easy Trace or Pattern Tracing Paper
- Matching threads
- 20cm (8″) invisible zipper
*Pattern by Nicole Mallalieu
Needlefruit is a feline (cat) friendly place and we have two furry friends visiting the studio regularly. Please let me know if you would prefer them not to be in the studio.